Friday, October 29, 2010

Zhovti Vody...eh?

How is it going eh?

The theme of this email will be Canadian...since according to the SDA we are now citizens of the wonderful 51st state of Canada!  Seriously we went to pick up our paperwork today to head to Zhovti Vody and Igor looks at the paper and says a bunch of things and the SDA lady Ivana runs out of the room...he looks at me and goes they had you down as citizens of Canada, minor mistake.   So I said no problem eh.  But they insisted on fixing it, so I siad ok eh, let me know when it is done eh.

We left Kyiv at 3:30 and got to see some of the wonderful countryside of Ukraine for the first 2 or so hours.  The next three hours was terrifying driving on dark 2 lane roads and passing big rigs with out actually being able to fully tell were the road was headed.  Megan asked me to tell the driver to slow down, I was afraid he would give a big Ukrainian laugh and say "In Soviet Ukraine road drive you!"  We did actually arrive into the city with no problem, but finding the hotel was a different story.  We actually had to stop and ask a local taxi cab driver to lead us to the hotel.  Once at the hotel our facilitator was not there and receptionist spoke Russian...and was asking me all kinds of questions...so naturally I nodded and signed were she told me to.  It is now 11:30 and we are still awaiting for the facilitator Roman.  I guess he had a big emergency with some other family in Dnipropetrovsk (Megan just literally laughed at me trying to spell this).  No worries we see the boys tomorrow and that is all that matters.

For the families coming to the Ukraine to adopt a few things we just learned.  Banks will only take perfect $20 bills.  IF they have any mark on them from a counterfeit pen or anything like that they will not accept the bill and will not exchange it.  Also LOTS of people here will just take dollars outright so that helps alot.  Lastly I mean this in a half serious way but Apple products (iPhone, iTouch, Macbook, Air,.etc...) sell for a HUGE premium.  If you brought some of those you could probably either barter for a great deal on things or sell them outright for nice profit, we were told the iPhone sells for well over $1000.

Three last things by popular demand.  I have uploaded all pictures and videos taken so far

And lastly we now have a blog, basically the same things you find in this email, but pass it along if you think anyone might find it interesting.

Love,
The 4 and with God's grace 6 as of tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment